- ARKids First is health care insurance for children that uses state and federal money to help pay for medical care. The Department of Human Services (DHS) run the Medicaid program in Arkansas.
- ARKids First has two programs: ARKids First-A and ARKids First-B.
- ARKids First-A is Medicaid for children.
- ARKids First-B is for people who make too much money to get regular
Medicaid, but still do not have health insurance for their children.
- Medicaid and ARKids First will not make payments to you but will pay doctors,
hospitals, and other health care providers who are enrolled in the
- Medicaid and ARKids First can help pay some of your medical bills, but not always all
of them. If you have ARKids First-B or you're an adult on Medicaid,
you will have to pay for part of your medical care.
- Doctors do not have to bill Medicaid or ARKids First, even if they are Medicaid
or ARKids First
providers. Before you get a service or treatment for you or your child, ask if it will be billed
to Medicaid or ARKids First. If it will not, the doctor has to tell you. If you still want
the treatment, you may have to pay for it yourself. Or, you can find
another doctor who will bill Medicaid or ARKids First.
- Most people must choose a "primary care physician," or PCP. Your PCP
is the doctor who is in charge of your health care.
- You will be given a card to show your doctor or health care provider.
Take care of your card, and keep it with you at all times. It makes it
easier to get the care you need.
- Do not let others use your card, or you will lose it, and might even
go to jail!
Back to list of additional