ARKids home page 
More info 
Replay intro 

Arkansas Medicaid

Learn more about HP Enterprise Services.


Hispanic girl preparing to jumpWho can get full Medicaid benefits?

It depends on how much money you make, how much property you own, your age, and your situation. Most people who can get Medicaid are in one of these groups:

  • Age 65 and older
  • Under age 19
  • Blind
  • Disabled
  • Pregnant
  • The parent or the relative who is caretaker of a child with an absent, disabled, or unemployed parent
  • Living in a nursing home
  • Under age 21 and in foster care
  • In medical need of certain home- and community-based services
  • Have breast or cervical cancer
  • Disabled, including working disabled

If you can't get full Medicaid benefits, there are programs that can help. Here are a few:

ARKids First-B
Medicaid Spend-Down
Women's Health (Family Planning)
Medicare Savings Programs (QMB, SMB, and QI-1)
Tuberculosis (TB)

ARKids First-B

  • ARKids First-B is for children under age 19 who do not have medical insurance through a parent's employer, or who cannot use their medical insurance. For example, if a noncustodial parent living outside of Arkansas has health insurance on their child who lives in Arkansas but Arkansas doctors do not accept that insurance, the child may be able to get ARKids First-B.
  • On ARKids First-B, you will make a small payment called a co-payment for prescription drugs and some medical care, but not for preventive care like well-child check-ups.
  • You can apply for ARKids First-A (Medicaid) and ARKids First-B at the same time. DHS will look at your application and decide whether you qualify for either program.
  • For more information on ARKids First-B, call 1-888-474-8275 or visit your county DHS office.

Medicaid Spend-Down

If you are hurt or sick and need a lot of care, you might be able to get temporary help from Medicaid even if you make too much money to get regular Medicaid.

  • To qualify for Medicaid Spend-Down, you must be spending a large part of your money on medical care.
  • You have to re-enroll in Medicaid Spend-Down every three months.
  • Contact the DHS (Department of Human Services) office in your county for details.

Women's Health (Family Planning)

  • You must be able to have children.
  • You cannot be on any other Medicaid program.
  • Only family planning services are covered. They include:
physical exams
lab work
birth control
information about preventing HIV and sexually transmitted diseases
prescriptions for birth control
follow-up visits
  • If you are over age 21, you may be able to get an operation to keep you from getting pregnant.
  • To learn more, contact your local health department or the DHS office in your county.

Medicare Savings Programs
(QMB, SMB, and QI-1)

  • You must be on Medicare to qualify for any Medicare Savings Program.
  • You must make less than a certain amount.
  • Different programs have different rules.
  • For more information about Medicare Savings Programs, contact the DHS office in your county.

Tuberculosis (TB)

  • You may qualify for this program if you have tuberculosis, or if a doctor suspects that you have it.
  • You must make less than a certain amount of money.
  • You must not be eligible for Medicaid in any other category.
  • Only services related to tuberculosis are covered.

Back to list of additional information